The US release four prisoners over Guantanamo

Washington (AP)-the Pentagon announced that four other prisoners were transferred from the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, marking the end of the transfer under President Barack Obama and left the population of facilities for 41 years.

Thursday the Transfer concluded the last thrust of the Obama administration to clear the system as much as possible before the inauguration of President-elect Friday Donald Trump, with 19 prisoners moved from election day on November 8, CNN reported.

One of the prisoners went to Saudi Arabia and the other three are being held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), said the Pentagon.

There were 242 detainees at Guantanamo when Obama took office in January 2009 and has pledged to close the facility within a year in an executive order signed shortly after his own.

But in the last few days, government officials have acknowledged that this goal is out of reach.

“I don’t expect us to succeed in this aim to close the prison, but not for lack of trying, that’s for sure,” said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, at a press conference on Tuesday.
Earnest blamed Republicans and Democrats in Congress over the Government’s failure to close the detention center.

The maximum prison population was 684 was arrested in June 2003, CNN reported.

The Office of the Director of national intelligence, which track the recidivism among ex-prisoners, said in a September report that nine of the 161 inmates released since January 2009 has returned to support terrorist groups.

The other 11 who “allegedly” had been returned to terrorist activities, although the report noted that the Defense Intelligence Agency put the number at 15.

(This story has been edited by the staff of the NDTV and automatically generated from syndication feeds.)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*